Re: Step Wedge

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 11/10/04-11:14:30 PM Z

Etienne wrote:

>Precisely because flare renders curves determined in a no-flare environment
>meaningless in real life, one needs to test film in the camera, exposing
>through the lens, in order to have any real idea what tonal values you are
>going to get in the shadows when you expose film in the real world.

And there is the crux. We determine to test either, a) the material,
or b) the material given certain parameters, i.e. "in real life."

But, since "in reality" there is no "real life", other than multiple
options from which we choose *one*, "what do we test?

Testing film in the camera seem intuitively correct, and it works
reasonably well in practice, but for comparing EFS and CI with
different films this method is for all practical purposes useless.

Sandy