Re: Step Wedge

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@CLEMSON.EDU>
Date: 11/11/04-02:52:21 PM Z

Jonathan wrote:

>On the other hand, once one has selected a film, and wants to be
>able to expose and print "by the numbers" ala BTZS, you might run in
>camera curves for each lens under low, medium and high flare
>situations.
>
>At some point, this gets a bit ridiculous, as you can spend more
>time testing and calibrating than taking actual pictures and making
>real prints.... it is at this time that development by inspection
>starts to look very attractive :-))

I guess one could make testing that complicated but it is not
necessary. I basically use just two flare factors in figuring
development time, one for single-coated lenses and another for
multi-coated ones. And I shield the lens from light outside of the
subject area with an efficient lens hood. Any variations that result
from different types of lighting conditions can be controlled at the
time of printing.

People who have never done BTZS testing are not aware of its
efficiency. Two hours of film testing using BTZS methodology will
provide more useful data about how to expose and develop a given
film than could be obtained with a hundred or more hours of zone type
testing.

Sandy