Re: Help with what I believe is a hardening issue

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 11/12/04-01:19:30 AM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, ericawd wrote:
>
> > The first question: Is it possible to get the gelatin too hot when sizing?
> > I heat it in a microwave to the point that I am unable to put my finger in
> > for more than a second. There is usually steam coming off the surface.
> > Could this be related to my speckling problem and related to developing
> > prints in scalding water?
>
> I agree with Kate, odds are that's the problem.

I agree with Judy and Kate; yes, I think heat is the problem. Having
never done much sizing, I don't have a lot of experience in this area,
but I do know that a couple of times when I got the gelatin too hot
(both times by microwaving it) the sizing failed and made speckles in
the prints. I'm not sure it matters what happens technically to the
gelatin; what is important is that overheating the gelatin seems to lead
to imperfect sizing, for whatever reason.
Katharine