Re: Help with what I believe is a hardening issue

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 11/12/04-09:23:07 AM Z

From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: Help with what I believe is a hardening issue
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 07:19:30 +0000

> I agree with Judy and Kate; yes, I think heat is the problem. Having
> never done much sizing, I don't have a lot of experience in this area,
> but I do know that a couple of times when I got the gelatin too hot
> (both times by microwaving it) the sizing failed and made speckles in
> the prints. I'm not sure it matters what happens technically to the
> gelatin; what is important is that overheating the gelatin seems to lead
> to imperfect sizing, for whatever reason.

I use microwave oven to heat gelatin size all the time and have not
had a single problem. But like anything else but plain water, if you
use microwave you should heat halfway first, stir it, and heat it
again just to the desired temperature. Trying to do it one shot will
make hot spots and this is not desirable with gelatin size.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"You have to realize that junk is not the problem in and of itself.