Re: Help with what I believe is a hardening issue

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 11/12/04-01:52:22 AM Z

Gordon J. Holtslander wrote:

> Has anyone tried sizing with acrylic gesso? I've read many references
> about it, but I have never tried it. It does sound appealling - no
> hardening required ...

Hi Gord,
Not straight gesso, but someone told me a while back that they had had
good results mixing gesso and gelatin. I tried this for a while when I
was printing on Fabriano Uno, which needed to be sized to give it a
decent DMax. I had inconsistent results with this combination;
unfortunately I don't remember the details of why I was occasionally
unhappy with it as a size.

 I was also somewhat uneasy with the fact that I didn't know anything
about how the two things combine and what the longevity issues might be
with the combination. But some of my prints with the subtlest tonal
gradations, like

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/skunk.html

 were printed on this size, and I think how they printed was due in part
to this particular sizing combination.

The recipe I was given: Gelatin 1 pk to 175 cc H2O. Mix 70 cc gesso into
this, mix and coat.
Katharine