Re: Help with what I believe is a hardening issue

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 11/12/04-03:28:25 AM Z

Katharine Thayer wrote:

> Gordon J. Holtslander wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone tried sizing with acrylic gesso? I've read many references
> > about it, but I have never tried it. It does sound appealling - no
> > hardening required ...
>
> Hi Gord,
> Not straight gesso, but someone told me a while back that they had had
> good results mixing gesso and gelatin. I tried this for a while when I
> was printing on Fabriano Uno, which needed to be sized to give it a
> decent DMax. I had inconsistent results with this combination;
> unfortunately I don't remember the details of why I was occasionally
> unhappy with it as a size.

On reflection, I'm thinking that the few times the gesso/gelatin size
didn't work as well for me, it was probably due to inconsistent
measurement, as a result of the thickness of the gesso and my own lack
of concern about how precise the measurement needed to be for this
application. When I got too much gesso, then it made the sizing too
thick and the gum coat flaked off. When it was right, the coating mix
was much like milk in its appearance and consistency; it wasn't nearly
thick enough to alter the texture of the paper, but gave a nice
soft-smooth surface that printed very nicely.
kt