Re: Help with what I believe is a hardening issue

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 11/12/04-05:56:29 PM Z

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Gordon J. Holtslander wrote:

> Has anyone tried sizing with acrylic gesso? I've read many references
> about it, but I have never tried it. It does sound appealling - no
> hardening required ...

When I began teaching gum, most of the books did cite acrylic gesso as an
alternative size (I don't think they do anymore ?). Having had almost no
prior experience with gum, and being, frankly, somewhat panicked, I tested
that -- and all other sizes -- to a fare-thee-well.

My finding was, as Joe and others say, yes, you could get a print of
sorts, but the effect wasn't beautiful translucent color, rather a
tendency to flake -- AND an opaque pastel look.

This was ESPECIALLY apparent when tested with a 21-step, because the
flaking there is more visible than with the random tones of a negative.

I did however test various mixes with gelatin as well --and found that
some great effects were possible, as inspired by Bernie Boudreau. I wrote
this up in Post-Factory #6 (page 36), concluding that although the process
was fickle, and with a tendency for some colors to stain, "when a combo
worked, it made a magnificent, sharp, one-coat print, so rich and tactile
any overall 'tone' seemed only to add glow."

My RG 4A, for instance was 1 part thick gesso, 3 parts 3% Knox gelatin.
Applied warm with a wide brush, sometimes worked in with a rag.

But "The exact proportions seemed to matter less than the particular combo
of paper and emulsion."

Still, I ultimately gave it up, prefering a plain gelatin size as more
consistent and all-purpose.

Judy