Re: New Material: Slimline Inkjet Film

From: Michael Koch-Schulte ^lt;mkochsch@shaw.ca>
Date: 11/13/04-11:43:57 PM Z

Initial test print looks quite promising. Contact printed on a Beseler 45MX
to PolyContrast III RC paper. Holds ink well. A big improvement over the
generic transparency film I'm using. Resultant wedge looks much better in
full "color" mode on my Epson 300 (settings: Best Photo; Prem. Glossy Photo
Paper) And these aren't even the highest quality settings for the printer.
"Black Ink Only" test not so hot because of pooling or articfacts I think,
no surprise Black Ink Only seems to only work on Matte papers with this
printer. I've never gotten a great Black only print on gloss paper. Spectral
Density test 0-71-71-0 didn't pan out very well (no white, not even close,
but a gentler curve I suspect), but again I suspect that's more to do with
the printer's limitations, since I've never been able to make a wedge dense
enough to print white using the Spectral Density Method. Probably no
Pictorico here, but not the bottom of the barrel either, somewhere in the
middle.

for Digital Negatives? I'm going to profile a wedge on it tonight. Labelled
as Slimline Inkjet Film. Dimensions are 8.27" X 11.67" inches. Marketed as
transparent sign material by a company called "Headline". It has a small
peel away strip on the bottom presumably to mount it to a backlit display
system. Claims to be quick drying. It has a much smoother-silkier "rough"
surface (ink side) than the generic overhead transparency (read: cheap junk)
I've been practicing my curves on. Price was $13 CDN for 10 sheets, ie. less
than a buck a sheet USDs. Lots of Japanese or Chinese printing on the
inside. Definately an import. Looks promising. I'll post my findings in a
few hours.