Re: report on glyoxal yellowing

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Date: 11/15/04-09:48:07 PM Z

How fascinating!!--so when you reported it, and the list used it, then the
chem supply houses started carrying it (like B and S, Artcraft, Ph. Form)?
What a bit of history. I wish I had been on the list back then....

Now, back to glyoxal yellowing:
1. I only used Rives BFK with glyoxal or formaldehyde while in MT (besides,
Fabriano has just changed formulation this year, so it is a moot point).
2. I have used all different papers in SC.
3. I have had different papers yellow in SC with glyoxal--not just Fabriano.
4. I soaked my yellow paper for a day and no budge of the yellow. Once it
is there, it is there.
5. I did use distilled water with this test, both in the gelatin and in the
glyoxal bath, to eliminate the possibility of my water supply down here
producing the effect.
6. I did not rinse after the glyoxal bath, wanting, instead, to see if it
was a fluke of yellowing I got or if, in fact, I could **recreate** it in my
usual practice. This I did, both with paper that had the glyoxal mixed in
with the gelatin, and paper soaked in a separate glyoxal bath, with the
lower dilution (15 ml) glyoxal.
7. Left to test would be for me to do the glyoxal separate bath and rinse,
as you do, Judy, down here. And to go to MT and do the rinse and no rinse
after hardening with Fabriano Artistico there, and Rives BFK. Next year.

     In all this discussion, we need to think of Don Bryant's test, too. My
hypothesis *might be* the paper determines the yellowing (or Karma, as Clay
says. Don is Mr. Perfect Technical Guy). This seems reasonable given my
test pieces were consistently yellower with cold and hot press and not with
soft press Fabriano, whether inside, outside, dark, light, air, no air. And
an addendum to that might possibly be that with an afterrinse, this tendency
for some papers to yellow is taken care of. There was an interesting post
by Ryuji, about excess glyoxal ("free" glyoxal) as a possible
problem.
     As far as the cyanotype, in side by side tests of paper sized with
glyoxal gelatin and paper sized with glut gelatin, the paper sized with glut
was beautiful, and the glyoxal one was dull. This can have alllll kinds of
reasons (that's for cyanotype king Sam Wang to decide), I am not setting out
here to prove anything about cyanotype--just that it is one more plus in my
book for glut. And I get less pigment stain in gum printing with glut.
      As far as why I give a hoot about all this--I don't care to prove
anything, or be the first to do anything. That's not my bag. I'll leave
that up to you and Katharine. I **do** care that my paper stays predictably
white. It does carry weight for me that Kerik, Clay, Sandy, and Kees all
experienced yellowing with glyoxal, too, and that Kerik and Sandy have
abandoned it as hardener of choice--Kerik moving to formaldehyde, Sandy to
alum. Or at least that is what I have gleaned from the archives.
     My dilemma then is--in teaching gum printing, what would be the
responsible
choice of hardener to have a class use?
Chris