Alt-hardeners (was: Help with what I believe is a hardening issue)

From: Alberto Novo ^lt;alt-list@albertonovo.it>
Date: 11/17/04-01:47:22 AM Z

Ryuji Suzuki wrote:

> 2,4-dichloro-6-hydroxy-s-triazine is just another hardening agent,
> which was patented in 1960's, I think (I have the original patent
> somewhere), so it's been known for some 40 years. Some people may
> prefer this over glut because it is nonvolatile and works just as
> well.
This seems a very interesting characteristic. What about its storage?

> Synthesizing a batch of this compound takes me a couple of hours, and
> it takes overnight to purify the crude solution by recrystalization,
> if purification is necessary. Its precursor is cyanuric acid (not to
> be confused with cyanic acid), which is commonly traded as an
> industrial intermediate material.
I have found cyanuric acid (2,4,6 trihydroxy - 1,3,5 triazine), its price is
about 0.1 euro/g. For comparison, glutaraldehyde is 0.14-0.2 E/g and glyoxal
is 1.6 E/g (both referred to the pure substance).
May you share your operational details for the synthesis of 2,4
dichloro[...]s-triazine?

> There are a few other popular hardening agents.
> bis(vinylsulphonylmethyl)ether is another one.
One thing at a time... but I am ever curious.

Alberto