Re: Trick for increasing speed of photo papers?

From: Bill William ^lt;iodideshi@yahoo.co.jp>
Date: 11/18/04-03:21:22 AM Z

---
From: Liam Lawless
> I haven't tested "speed increasing" ideas, but...

> I'm afraid to tell you but this is not going to
> work... Pretty much all practical developing agents
give pretty comparable speed when used at the optimal
condition...

----
Don't be discouraged by Ryuji's comments. You should try
it  for yourself. You never know what you will discover.
The developer you are using may not be optimized, and you
may not notice or care if the there are other changes in
the emulsion.
There certanily are ways emulsions can be speeded up... it
is done all the time.
While it is true that a good emulsion is already at or
near it's best speed, and trying to get more out if it may
be more trouble than it is worth, it can be done.
I don't know the material you are using but some areas for
you to consider are:

1. Washing prior to exposure
2. Color sensitization
3. Increasing the pH of the emulsion or the developer or
both...
4. Hypersensitzation
5. Gold Latensification
6. ???
As everyone knows, emulsions increase in speed up to a
certain peak then the speed starts to fall... at that
point, they begin to fog more or less rapidly...
You may be able to get some speed just by waiting, or by
accellerated aging of your material...
I guess you don't have the time or will to go that route,
but the  point is yes it can be done...
But 2 or 3 stops?
That is quite a bit!
But even so, it is a possibility, as new sensitization
technology has been developed
which does this exact thing.
Some of the things that can be done may not necessarily be
speed increasing per se, but for all pratical uses may be
similiar in that they allow you to get the picture made.
There are many possible roads to travel.
You may not find the Stairway to Heaven, but I hope you
have a nice trip!
Ray
(Everything said, adding another Ray of Light might be the
simplest... but Panalure does have a very high speed
emulsion, and there are others too in the same speed
range.)