Re: Trick for increasing speed of photo papers?

From: Ed Buffaloe ^lt;edbuffaloe@unblinkingeye.com>
Date: 11/18/04-10:47:00 AM Z

I seem to recall that you place a tray of strong ammonia at the bottom of a
box and hang the film at the top of the box. I'm not sure what the
recommended time would be--maybe 20 minutes to an hour. I've also heard of
placing a roll of film in a large tank on top of several empty reels with a
few ounces of strong ammonia at the bottom for up to 24 hours. Disclaimer:
I have never tried this myself. In trying to research hypersensitization by
fuming, I found only information on hypersensitizing albumen paper with
ammonia. Clerc mentions hypersensitizing film by fuming with mercury, but
not ammonia. I suspect if this were a really useful method, a lot more
people would be doing it.