RE: modifying scanner

From: Robert W. Schramm ^lt;schrammrus@hotmail.com>
Date: 11/18/04-08:32:01 PM Z

Susan,

I have an Epson scanner with and adapter with a light in it so that I can
scan 35mm, 120, & 4x5. About a year ago I was asked to print some old 8 x 10
negatives. I took the adapter off and substituted a light box thinking that
would work. Well, it did and it didn't the scanner thought it was looking at
4 x 5 max. negative.

Next I put the 8 x 10 neg down on the bed and put a piece of brilliant white
color copy paper on top and replaced the regular flat bed cover. This gave
me a good scan especially when I bumped the resolution up but, of course the
levels were all off. When I went into Photoshiop and reset the levcels I had
a great scan. Now I can't remember wether I put the negative emulsion side
down or emulsion side up. I think it was emulsion side up which seems right
when you think about it.

Anyway, give this a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Bob Schramm

Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com

&gt;From: Dalyvoss@aol.com
&gt;Reply-To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
&gt;To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
&gt;Subject: modifying scanner
&gt;Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:13:13 -0500 (EST)
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;My Epson Perfection scanner will scan a maximum negative size of 4x5.
I'd
&gt;like to be able to scan 8x10s with it. The cover/light source for the
scanner
&gt;will only illuminate a small area, so what i'm wondering is this... has
&gt;anyone fashioned a larger light source for a scanner that covers the
entire
&gt;surface of the scanner bed? Any thoughts?
&gt;
&gt;thanks,
&gt;susan
&gt;