Re: What Insults on the list?

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 11/19/04-01:10:43 AM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

> My take on the message was that it was quite valid -- whether or not Ryuji
> is always, sometimes, or never correct, he shouldn't be, at the tender age
> of.... what is it, 13?, 46?, the ultimate arbiter of fact, nor should his
> "findings" (as often as not from a book) be more important than others'
> experiences or even suppositions, as he presents them to be.

<snip>

> If all those quotes were real.... could they really be? Then it was a
> service to the list to flag the development.

Sorry, I can't see how criticizing one member of the list by listing all
his citations to another member of the list could possibly add to the
topic under discussion.

I'm still stuck musing about this post. I thought that we had all, as
individuals and as a group together (and I certainly include myself in
this) matured in how carefully we interact with each other, and that we
are all presently committed to the idea of keeping our discussion to the
issues and off personalities, to avoid some of the bruising and horrific
battles that have occurred here in the past. I certainly wouldn't have
expected my reminder of that commitment to evoke such a strong
reaction. It appears that I was laboring under a delusion, and that we
are not all committed to keeping personalities and personal animosities
out of our discussions. I am sorry to hear that.

Katharine Thayer