Re: What Insults on the list?

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 11/19/04-02:02:26 AM Z

Katharine Thayer wrote:

> Judy Seigel wrote:
> >

> > If all those quotes were real.... could they really be? Then it was a
> > service to the list to flag the development.
>
> Sorry, I can't see how criticizing one member of the list by listing all
> his citations to another member of the list could possibly add to the
> topic under discussion.

Sorry, a crucial phrase got lost from this sentence. It should read: I
can't see how faulting one member of the list for his citations to
another member of the list could even be helpful to the topic under
discussion, much less be a "service to the list" as suggested. We all
like some people on the list more than others; we all respect some
people's expertise on the list more than others. These choices are
different for everyone and depend on many considerations, but to fault
someone for his choice of whose expertise to respect is not an
appropriate topic for discussion on the list, in my opinion. If you
believe someone's expertise isn't worth respecting, then prove it by
arguing fairly with that person on the issues, not by making personal
comments. Okay, I'm done with this, sorry.....
Katharine Thayer