RE: Inkjet negatives and Van Dyke Brownprints

From: Joe Smigiel ^lt;jsmigiel@kvcc.edu>
Date: 11/19/04-10:51:43 PM Z

>>> sanking@clemson.edu 11/19/04 11:26 AM >>>
These values produce very nice prints, with good shadow, mid-tones
and highlights with both kallitype and pure palladium (for an
exposure scale of about 1.85, and it also works nicely with VDB....<<

Sandy,

I tried your neutral curve today and it produced wonderful shadow
values. The highlights were blocked so I tweaked the curve a bit
primarily on the low end and presto, a full range VDB with separation on
both ends of the scale. The negative printed with nice clean highlights
and good max density. Many thanks for posting the curve info earlier.

I tried the new curve on both my test image full of digital step wedges
as well as a file I had never used before and both printed quite nicely.
 I'll try to scan the actual VDB prints tomorrow and post them online.
In the meantime, if anyone is interested in seeing representations of
the digital files and the final curve and density data, they can be
found here:

http://my.net-link.net/~jsmigiel/images/technical/vdb_test_11-19-04.jpg

(Be forewarned that the test image is a nude so avoid the page if you
don't care to view that sort of content or if you are under the age of
majority. It is also a fairly large jpeg so it may take a minute to
load if you are on a dial-up connection. I would assume the image may
look a bit dark and contrasty when viewed on a PC rather than a Mac
which was used in its creation. However, all the areas of the
stepwedges show clear separation on the original digital files,
Pictorico OHP transparency, and final VDB print.)

I also started to use your recommendation of a citric acid bath instead
of a running water wash at the beginning of the processing steps. I
don't see as dramatic a shift now as the hypo is used but presumably
that is because the initial acidified water shifts the tone & color
closer to its final stage before the acidic hypo solution reacts with
it.

Thanks again.

Joe