Re: Inkjet negatives and Van Dyke Brownprints

From: Joe Smigiel ^lt;jsmigiel@kvcc.edu>
Date: 11/20/04-09:22:51 AM Z

>>> Ender100@aol.com 11/20/04 1:09 AM >>>
A just wanted to confirm that your adjustment curve is used on the
file
after it is converted from a positive to a negative image?
Assuming so, I
looked at the curve you posted at the site below, and was curious as
why the clipping on the darker values? I would have thought for Van
Dyke you
would want the density and would want to retain more of the image
file
tones?<<

Yes. The curve is applied to the inverted (i.e., negative image) file.

My Epson 2200 printer really causes a huge increase in density in the
final 3% K ink values. Uncorrected, at 97% ink the transmission density
is 1.45, 1.82 @ 98%, 1.99 @ 99%, and 2.26 @100% ink. So, it gains
almost three stops density in the last 4%. (That is similar to the
entire density increase from 0% to 90% !) I've really had to raise that
end of the curve to get separation in the very lightest highlight values
of the print.

When I tried Sandy's curve, the final four values were blocked and the
correction I made eliminated that problem in that region. I may still
tweak the curve a bit since I needed to start printing with a new box of
paper right at the end of my tests yesterday and I'd like the low values
of the print to be slightly darker, but not by much. But right now the
hybrid curve from Sandy's data and mine is printing far better than
anything else I've tried. I did try Gary Nored's curve but in order to
get any detail in the shadows I had to cut back severely on the overall
exposure (- 2 stops) and that gave a very weak maximum print density,
far below what I'm used to printing.

>>Sounds like you are getting your exposure right on with the step
tablet
lapped over the Pictorico...this is a Stouffer 21 step tablet?<<

Correct. My final test print had a range from step 1 max density (a
nice deep purplish brown) to step 18 as paper white when dry. Hmmm.
Maybe that lightbulb just went on. If step 18 has a density of around
2.50 I might still be able to print the final 4 % if I steepen the curve
between the last 2% values while keeping the 97% and 98% close to where
they are and shifting 99% a bit lower. I'll have to try that. I'm not
sure I can manipute the curve that precisely over such a small region
though.

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.

Joe