RE: planned obsolescence rules

From: Keith Gerling ^lt;Keith@gumphoto.com>
Date: 11/22/04-03:27:27 PM Z

Tom,

I put this stuff in an existing box, so I guess you could call this an
upgrade. These days video, audio, and networking functions are often
(usually) available on the mainboard, thus no cards. Her Asus board has
built in SATA RAID, and I've been running onboard ATA RAID for years on an
old Abit board. Checking today's specials at Newegg.com, I see that you can
buy a 16X DVD drive for $62 and a pretty decent case/power supply for $30.
I see that Outpost.com is offering a 200 MB Seagate drive for $70 I've got
a whole box of SCSI cards that I hopefully will never need again, but I see
Newegg has one for $17. So it wouldn't be a major hit to put an entire
system together from scratch.

So, If I were putting a system together today with a $1700 Apple budget, I'd
do this:

2 200 GB Seagate drives
  RAID drives 140
MSI dual cpu mainboard 205
2 10,000 RPM 40MB
  SATA drives (RAID) 210
DVD 65
2 AMD 64 bit processors 300
2 additional video cards 80
case/power supply 50
4 Gig RAM 700

Wow! Ponder that for a moment. You have 4 gigs of RAM, and you put your
Photoshop scratch disk on your RAID SATA drives which are spinning at
10,000. You still have 400 GB of RAID storage. All that, and DUAL 64 bit
processors. AND, you have three monitors. The connoisseur side of me says
"go Apple". but the financially poor computer side of me wins out!

As for AMD vs. Intel? Well, that's entirely different war. AMD seems to be
ahead of Intel with the ability tof offer fancy chipsets, 64bit, etc. I
certainly wouldn't call them "second class". I prefer AMD over Intel
because they always win out in the benchmark tests running Photoshop, which
is my primary application. Also, for some reason, dual AMDs of similar
speed run some applications (like video editting and 3d rendering) at FAR
greater speeds than similar dual Pentiums.