Re: formula needed: Gum Arabic from powder

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Date: 02/24/05-08:36:57 AM Z

Darryl,
     I DON'T miss snow. I am shuddering at going back to MT for cmas break;
I am soooo spoiled down here. SC's idea of winter is 50-60 and one or two
snows that close the whole state down even though they are only 1/4 inch
accumulation.
     Preservatives: I used 1/2 tsp sodium benzoate to every 100g powdered
gum plus 200 ml water. That is the proportion Ph Formulary sold me (the
benzoate, I mean). You need very little.
     Then again, a 100% solution of thymol and use some drops of this. etc.
etc.
     But you could do it the easy way and just mix your gum powder and water
by the teaspoon upon time of use. I go through gum so fast that I always
have a pint of the stuff on hand.
     I'm not sure why all this baume stuff, with gum anyway. Certainly with
lithography it is absolutely crucial to standardize your gum with the way
the process works--I understand that now that I have been in printmaking for
the last 3 semesters. But with gum printing the only thing crucial to gum
thickness is having enough thickness to spread nicely and to suspend the
pigment enough so it doesn't sink into the paper. That's why 1+2 works for
me; no surprises.
Chris
PS you ain't a kiddin, Kate, about the sour gum; it stinks and it is thinner
and more acidic and prints differently. But if you can stand the smell, it
is still fine to use. I can't--nose too sensitive. In fact, I have
problems with certain pigments which stink like egg farts, too.