Re: Coating Rod Basics

From: T. E. Andersen ^lt;postlister@microscopica.com>
Date: 11/24/04-08:59:32 AM Z

Hi Jason,

I expect that any solution containing Fe(III) will corrode the
"stainless" steel rod. In a particularly "brainless" moment, I once
filtered a solution containing ferric chloride in a stainless steel
strainer. NOT a good idea.... (The *really* brainless part of this was
that I made the solution to etch stainless steel plates in the first
place....)!

As Ryuji points out, "stainless steel" is not a well defined term. Here
in Europe, people talk about two categories: "Rust free" (DIN A2), which
will not rust in clean water, but will do so in salt water, and "acid
fast" (DIN A4) which does not rust in salt water. Unfortunately the
story does not end there, and there are a large number of "stainless"
qualities around. I think the strainer I used was probably DIN A2 (as is
most kitchenware), but I can't say for sure. I don't know how the more
resistant qualities will stand up to Fe(III), but I think they, too will
eventually corrode.

Best regards,

Tom Einar