Re: Help with what I believe is a hardening issue

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 11/24/04-10:51:02 PM Z

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Ryuji Suzuki wrote:

> From: Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>
> Subject: RE: Help with what I believe is a hardening issue
> Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 02:17:51 -0500 (EST)
>
>> I wonder what the folks who gave their temperature controlled fry pans to
>> the thrift shop are using instead? Once upon a time in the long long ago
>> (before they invented cholesterol), I paid a sum of money for one of those
>> things, aka fondu pot.The fondu was sublime, tho now of course you
>> wouldn't dare serve it -- folks would think you were trying to poison
>> them. Ah -- maybe that's why they all landed in the thrift shop?
>
> If you are referring to aluminum being a suspected cause of
> Alzheimer's disease or whatever, that's BS. I read somewhere (probably
> McGee's On Food and Science) that that story was introduced by
> stainless steel industry to discourage aluminum cookwares. If you go
> to any restaurant supply store, you'll see a lot of large bare
> aluminum cookware with no anodizing or teflon. If you look at the
> labels of baking powders, antiacid tablets, etc., they often contain
> aluminum compounds. Plus, remember white alum is used for food.

As you might understand if you re-read my comments more carefully, I was
referring to the school of stop-making fondu. That's because of the
cholesterol. OK?

See, the fondu pot is temperature controlled. The temperature controlled
pots in the thriftshop could be fondu pots, or possibly just used to make
fondu, without being marketed as fondu pots. Fondu pots, as well as
temperature controlled pots, whatever their marketing plan, are in my
experience, at least modern ones, usually coated with teflon. So, if
you're not a stickler for shape, they could be interchangeable. Which is
to say, the temperature controlled pots in the thrift store could be fondu
pots -- or not. And I was sort of making a joke, feeble of course, but
that was the INTENT. My idea, not so funny of course as the ensuing
discussion , was that those pots were in the thrift shop because of the
invention/discovery of cholesterol. Get it now?

But we heated our gelatin in an old aluminum pot. All the surface
aluminum had already been eaten by the previous owners, so it didn't
contaminate our gelatin... as far as I know.

But feel free to correct me-- and of course to explain about cholesterol.

Judy