RE: Toning Question

From: Jonathan Bailey ^lt;jon@jonathan-bailey.com>
Date: 11/26/04-07:20:27 AM Z

James,

Certain papers will often with exotic colors in Selenium. The exact reason
for this has never been completely explained. As for your wish to replicate
your previous results: You can certainly replicate the results broadly
speaking. But, you will very likely never replicate them *exactly* (i.e.
the exact results from any specific print). The results from most toning
procedures are always one-of-a-kind - especially when sabbatier or
mordancage has been done first. Personally, I think this is a good thing!

I utilize numerous toning formula's in my own work - in various combinations
with different papers - to achieve fairly exotic range of effects. Selenium
is just one of the toners I use, often in combination with gold.

Tim Rudman - a frequent contributor to this list - has a very good book
entitled, "The Photographer's Toning Book." And, my personal website
(www.jonathan-bailey.com) will give you a look at the effects I'm getting.
Also reproduced on the site are two articles I wrote for CAMERA ARTS
magazine, the first describing my appreciation of the history and
antecedents to modern "split" toning; and the second giving working notes
and formula for my signature selenium and GP-1 gold toning process
(http://www.jonathan-bailey.com/pages/writings_camarts1.html).

Good luck with your experiments! Be sure to keep good notes! They are
surest path to recreating these effects!

Best - Jon
www.jonathan-bailey.com