Re: Modifying bleaches

From: MARTINM ^lt;martinm@SoftHome.net>
Date: 11/29/04-06:18:50 AM Z

"The bleaching agent seems to need to be potassium ferricyanide, or maybe
Potassium permanganate, or a dichromate."

Actually, there are a great many oxidizers that can do the job - from copper
sulfate to ceric sulfate (not to mention nasties like bromine and the like).

"Unless I am told I really need something else, just from a safety
standpoint, ferricyanide looks like my choice."

Ferricyanide can be replaced by Fe-EDTA or ferric sulfate, which do less
harm to the environment.
E.g.:

EDTA (2Na) 30g
Fe(III) Sulfate 30g
Potassium Bromide 30g
Sodium Hydrogen Sulfate Crystals 30g
Water to 1000ml

Note, this formula applies to ultra-fine grain (Lippmann) emulsions. For
coarser grains you might have to increase the concentration of the bleaching
solution.

Martin