Re: Starch sizing for Gum

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Date: 11/29/04-07:20:18 AM Z

Jeremy,
I have never used powdered starch, but here goes: recipes: 1 t. argo corn
starch per 2 c water, boil 2 mn, add 1 tsp alum and a couple drops thymol
for preservative if keeping it around. Brush on 2 coats while very hot. Or
use spray starch 12" away, spraying before each new gum coating. I tried
this, and it didn't work well at all, but some do think it does. Or, 3%
arrowroot (standard dilution when they used it all the time in the olden
days), or 1/2 oz of it to 16 oz water, mix cold, bring to boil, boil til
thick, skim surface. This will get you started; I don't know what kind of
starch you use at work but please write and let us know if it works.
Chris