Re: recipe for fine-line developer?

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 10/05/04-01:56:47 PM Z

From: "Eric S. Theise" <mataro@cyberwerks.com>
Subject: recipe for fine-line developer?
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 12:26:15 -0700 (PDT)

> Since I'm here, I thought I'd really a question from yet another list.

What list?

> Does anyone know the formulation for Kodak's discontinued fine-line
> developer? The closest thing I can find on the Internet is Jack
> Fulton asking the same question on this list in 2000.

If you can't find the exact formula, I think it's better to go by the
type of application and desired effects than by the product name. Do
you know whether they have MSDS with enough details?

There are many different types of developers. One is lith type
developer with much reduced lith effect. Another is more true high
contrast type developer, with or without contrast enhancing agents. I
think Fine Line beared Kodalith name, and that makes me think it was
of the former type. With a classic hydroquinone-formaldehyde-sulfite
developer, lith effect can be reduced by increasing the free sulfite
level in the solution, increasing the agitation during processing
and/or increasing the solution pH.

If continuous tone of high contrast is desired, D-11 type developer is
probably a better way to go, but you won't get the extremely high
contrast and Dmax of lithographic processing.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"You have to realize that junk is not the problem in and of itself.