Ziatype: how many coatings?

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@mynet.com>
Date: 10/09/04-03:12:23 PM Z

Hi all,

I will make my first Ziatype tests tomorrow. As Ziatype is a POP process (no
strong chemical reaction to form the image), I assumed (maybe wrongly) that
dmax of a single coat print may be weak (my untoned double coated Vandykes
go only to 1.20 - 1.25...)

My question is: What is your experience with Ziatype? Do you think I can get
enough dmax with only one coating? Or should I coat twice?

Will print on Whatman HP watercolor paper (don't know about the size: is it
gelatine or aquapel?) and will use the straight formula with no additions
(just LiPdCl and AFO).

I plan to let the emulsion soak into paper and to use the paper as soon as
the surface is not shiny (this takes around 3 - 5 mins with Vandyke or
Cyanotype emulsion). I will also use mylar sheets on both the front (to
protect the negative) and back (to protect the humidity) of the paper. Do
you think 3 - 4 mins. is enough (or too short)? I don't have any tool to
measure the humidity so I will try to standardise the drying time and keep
it as short as possible (is this a good strategy?)

Thanks in advance,
Loris.