Re: Another Ziatype question

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@CLEMSON.EDU>
Date: 10/11/04-11:50:26 AM Z

Have you checked the pH of your developer? Staining that can not be
cleared results from the formation of iron hydroxide from residual
ferrous iron, Fe(2+) in an alkaline environment. In kallitype
printing staining can take place during both development, if the
developer is alkaline, or during washing, if the tap water is too
alkaline. The iron content of the tap water, in combination with a
high pH, may also play a role. I suspect that the same goes for
Pt./Pd. printing since residual ferrous iron is a reduction
by--product.

Sandy