Re: Developing dryplates

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 10/15/04-02:47:39 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Timo Sund" <timo@palaios.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2004 6:24 AM
Subject: Developing dryplates

> This question come up to me as one friend bought old
> platecamera and it included several exposed dryplates
> undeveloped. They are some 80years old. How he should
> develope them?
>
> --
> Timo Sund
> Palaios Photos
> Finland
> http://palaios.com

   The probability is that there is no image left at all.
There are techniques of using very active developers at very
low temperatures that are supposed to be able to get out
whatever latent image might be there. I don't know the
details and have never tried it. There is a lab specializing
in developing old or unusual film:
http://www.filmrescue.com/ I don't know the details of what
they do but have had enough correspondence with them to
think they know what they are doing. While the probability
is that there will be nothing but fog on this film you never
know if you don't try.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA