Re: Colors of Dichromate Stain (was:Re: Sodium Bisulfite

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 10/17/04-10:43:10 AM Z

It's odd that I've made such a study of dichromate stain, since it's not
something that I encounter in my own practice, but it's interesting
because it seems so resistant to explication.

At any rate, the other day I said that brown dichromate- stained gum
turns deep green when scraped off the support when still wet, and that
dichromate stain treated with a clearing agent turns blue, not green.
Today I've learned that that may only be true for a medium or heavy
dichromate stain. A light stain scrapes off the support brown when wet
and turns green when treated with bisulfite. So it looks like the degree
of stain is also a factor in how the stain behaves with regard to
clearing agents for example.
kt