Re: chemigrams (again?)

From: kris ^lt;kris@eq-photo.com>
Date: 10/19/04-05:47:09 AM Z

OK--just to follow up (please note the questions below):

contents of S11 Activator (aka SII Activator or S2 Activator):
85-90% Water
5-10% Potassium hydroxide
1-5% Potassium sulphite
1-5% Sodium sulphite
<1% Potassium bromide

contents of S30 Stabilizer (by weight):
65-70% Water
21% Ammonium thiocyanate
5-10% Acetic acid
1-5% Sodium acetate
< 1% Sodium bisulphite

( all retrieved from the Kodak EH&S site:
http://msds.kodak.com/ehswww/external/index.jsp )

SO... my questions are thus:
1. What are the main chemicals in both mixtures that are necessary for
the chemigram/chromoskedasic process? I.e., can I just use diluted
ammonium thiocyanate, or does the acetic acid and less than 1% sodium
bisulphite make a difference? (Since I'm mixing from scratch--these
chemicals are no longer available from Kodak Canada--I'm wondering how
exact I have to be)

2. Other than 'strong acid liberates cyanide gas' from the stabilizer,
are there any other health or safety risks? (Keeping in mind that the
solutions, as described in the various processes, will be diluted)

3. Does bleach (ie. Clorox, etc.--sodium hyposulphite, right?) when
mixed with hypo (sodium thiosulphate) synthesize sodium or ammonium
thiocyanate; or is something else really going on?

many thanks!
kris