RE: Ultrafine Clear Film and Epson 2200

From: Don Bryant ^lt;dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Date: 10/22/04-10:04:46 PM Z

Hi Sandy,

> OK, curious as to the outcome I printed a piece of the 11X17
> Ultrafine Clear film that Chris gave me last week with the Epson
> 2200. The negative was from a file set up using Mark Nelson's PDN
> system and was printed for close to the highest contrast possible
> with Mark's color calibration system, for a pallaidium curve. The
> color was the nice emerald green that appears to give the highest
> contrast when using the PDN system.

Since you've mentioned that you've printed your emerald green negative,
perhaps I'll print the file that you sent me for the AZO test print
(assuming I can locate the CD.) The PEP probably does lay down more ink than
needed for actual negatives made for printing.

> Here are my results. The negative tracked through the printer fine,
> with no backing.

Okay, I'll try again with no support sheet.

> It has now dried.

And how long was that do you think?

> don't see any sign at all of roller marks or of the dreaded pizza
> wheel tracks. In fact, it looks every bit as smooth as a Pictorico
> negative.

Grrrr! :)

As it turns out I've raised the ejection rollers so that is not longer a
problem for me. I've also installed a spring to raise the metal plate that
holds the pizza wheel. They are now positioned slightly above the rubber
rollers beneath the #^%*ing pizza wheels.

> So I am wondering why Don's negative with this film failed and mine
> turned out so well? Just a few thoughts.
>
> 1. You must use the right side of the film. One side is coated, the other
> not.

I'm sure I have that correct; grasping the film between thumb and finger
reveals the "emulsion" side of the substrate, but as a double check I
dampened my finger with saliva and verified that indeed the right side is
up.

> 2. Perhaps the particular colors that I used, as determined by Mark's
> PDN system, dry faster. The color calibration procedures that result
> from the PDN system lays a lot of cyan and yellow on the film, but
> not much of any other color.
>

> 3. Following the printing procedures suggested by Mark's PDN system
> the film goes through the 2200 very, very slowly. Perhaps the key is
> that the pigmented ink dries before it touches the rollers.

Hmmm, I've just reviewed Mark's printer driver setup instructions and the
driver is set as he outlined. I've also selected Premium Semi-Gloss to
reduce the ink output. My last PEP test came out pretty good although I
still had pizza wheel tracking show up in the black ink step wedge. I've
made a minor adjustment; perhaps that will solve that.

What also maybe in play here is my cat likes to stick his paw inside the
printer while it's printing, but this problem may be the result of a slight
manufacturing variation.

What position is your paper thickness lever set? Mine is pulled all the way
forward for thin media, the default position I guess you could say.

Thanks Sandy for the update,

Don