RE: OT FLAT BEDS FOR LARGE NEGS

From: Robert W. Schramm ^lt;schrammrus@hotmail.com>
Date: 09/02/04-08:06:43 PM Z

About five months ago I was asked to deal with about 15 very old 8 x 10
negatives of some historical importance. They had scratches, dirt, mold
marks, etc. First I tried making contact prints, using some contact paper I
had around, thinking I would then scan those. This worked OK but I thought,
why not scan the negatives. I have an Epson 1640 flat bed that will do up to
2700 dpi.
I soon learned that the emulsion side had to be next to the glass. But the
results were much improved over scanning the contact sheets and there was a
lot less time involved. Some of the negs were film and some glass. After I
photoshopped the images they looked very good. I gave the client a straight
print and a photoshopped print of the same image so that he could appreciate
my talent all the better ;-)
Client was writing a history of a symphony orchestra.

Bob Schramm
Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com

&gt;From: Bob Kiss &lt;bobkiss@caribsurf.com&gt;
&gt;Reply-To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
&gt;To: &quot;ALT PHO PROC.&quot; &lt;alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca&gt;
&gt;Subject: OT FLAT BEDS FOR LARGE NEGS
&gt;Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 10:47:09 -0300
&gt;
&gt;DEAR LIST,
&gt; Here is another strange request from Barbados. I am working on 2,000
glass
&gt;plate negatives up to 6 1/2 X 9 1/2 inches. I want to scan them and,
&gt;needless to say, they don't wrap around a scanning drum very well! Does
&gt;anyone know of a flat bed scanner that can take negs and transparencies
up
&gt;to 8X10 inches? Or at least 6 1/2 X 9 1/2?
&gt; As this is another of my strange OT requests please feel free to e-mail
me
&gt;off list if you think this would not be of interest to others.
&gt; CHEERS!
&gt; BOB
&gt;
&gt;