Re: cyanotype question

From: Joe Smigiel ^lt;jsmigiel@kvcc.edu>
Date: 09/02/04-09:13:08 PM Z

Mark,

Yes. You have it right as far as the mergers are concerned but I don't follow you on the question about 2 additional steps merging at 750 units. No steps merge at 250. Three steps merge at 500 which indicates the low end was pushed up the scale 2 steps as an additional 250 units was given. The same thing happened as the exposure was further increased by 250 units to 750, i.e., the low end was pushed up the scale another 2 steps. This is also showing in how many steps solarized initially. The highest solarized steps were 6, 8, and 10 for the 250, 500, and 750 unit exposures, respectively. The low steps are acting in a consistent manner gaining 2 steps with each additional 250 unit exposure. It is the high end that is behaving strangely showing a decrease in the rate that the tones print as exposure is increased.

I did time one 250 unit exposure cycle and the duration was 13 minutes. I don't see how changing the drying procedure would affect the outcome because the entire sheet was coated and dried before being cut into strips and exposed.

So, if I'm reading your reply correctly you are perhaps suggesting that the exposure scale increases as the print sits around waiting to be processed? Since the 250 unit exposure produced the longest scale and was completed approximately one-half hour before the 750 unit exposure was completed (at which point all test strips were processed together), then simply leaving an exposed but unprocessed print laying around would increase the scale perhaps??? Approximately one full stop (1.63-1.31=0.32) was gained. If this is actually happening due to some temporal effect between exposure and processing then simply processing two similarly exposed strips (say 250 units each) with some delay between them (e.g., 30 minutes), should produce different tonal scales. That would be easy enough to check by identically exposing one strip and then the other sequentially rather than giving an identical simultaneous exposure to both.

Maybe what is happening is that the UV exposure produced by the NuArc is decreasing as the bulb heats up and stays on for an extended time after the brief restarts when I pulled one strip from the unit. I had assumed the integrator controlled the output though so that sort of variation wouldn't occur.

Has anyone else found the UV output to decrease from one of these units with an integrator as exposures are lengthened? Maybe I've just got a bad integrator. Does anyone know if the integrators need to be periodically calibrated/adjusted in some way?

Joe

>>> Ender100@aol.com 09/02/04 9:49 PM >>>
Joe,

If I am understanding correctly:
250 Units - no merged steps
500 units - Steps 1, 2 & 3 are merged
750 units - Steps 1¯5 are merged

That's an interested effect¯you would expect the exposure scales to be
approximately the same and they are getting shorter with longer exposures. It's also
odd that with 750 Units you got two additional steps merging, where there
should have just been one.

You might try reversing the exposure process and see if the same thing holds
true¯put one strip in for 250 units, add another one for another 250 and then
add the 3rd for the final 250¯see if you get the same effect in reverse order.

There may be some issue with the amount of time between exposure and
development.

There may be some other factor intervening, such as humidity, etc.

What if you let the emulsion air dry before exposing instead of using the
hair dryer?

What do you figure is the appropriate exposure time?

Mark Nelson
www.precisiondigitalnegatives.com
www.markinelsonphoto.com