RE: dag types

From: Jonathan Bailey ^lt;jon@jonathan-bailey.com>
Date: 09/07/04-06:06:24 AM Z

Brigitte,

Taking a workshop is definitely recommended - both to save you lots of head-
and heartache, but also to make you fully aware of the safety concerns.

If you're willing to travel, Jerry may well do a private tutorial in NYC (or
you may luck out and he'll have another class scheduled someplace!). Let me
know if you need contact info.

Mike is in Toronto and his business is Century Darkrooms. He may be
teaching weekend workshops at The George Eastman House in Rochester, NY.
That's where I took my daguerreotype classes back in 1997-98 - when Ken
Nelson taught the workshop. Take a look at the self-portrait on my website
if you'd like (http://www.jonathan-bailey.com/pages/workshops.html)...

Good luck in your quest!!

Gregory - That *is* a handsome dag!!! Congrats!!!

Jon
www.jonathan-bailey.com

On Sep 6, 2004, at 7:30 PM, Gregory Popovitch wrote:
>> Hi Brigitte,

>> There are a few people making daguerreotypes now. Many are member of the
Daguerrean society (www.daguerre.org) which meets once a yearin november,
and I would encourage you to become a member. Charlie Schreiner has a web
site (www.newdags.com) wich is a good starting point, but of course taking a
workshop will save you a lot of time (Jerry Spagnoli does 5 day workshops at
Photographer's Formulary, and Mike Robinson does one day workshops once a
year). The old manuals (Humphrey, etc...) are useful as well.

>> The daguerreotype process is very fickle, and it takes a strong
motivation to get started... as you will see there are a lot of things you
will need to do before making your first dag, and when you get there it may
be a while before you get an acceptable image on your silver plate. But the
rewards are great as well! I am not an expert myself, having started about a
year ago, but if you are curious you can see a whole plate daguerreotype I
made today at: http://www.neatview.com/s/perso/piano.jpg. The blue hilights
are natural, and are due to solarisation.

>> I wish you the best of luck,

gregory