Re: How to translate log density readings to percent?

From: Dave Soemarko ^lt;fotodave@dsoemarko.us>
Date: 09/08/04-07:04:12 AM Z

Hi Loris,

I understand what you said. When I said the imagesetter negative can be
considered "ideal," I didn't mean that the tonality of the print would be
right, and that's why we need calibration of the print. What I meant was the
negative itself would be right (that is, the supposably 50% area would
indeed be 50% in the negative).

The problem that we see with rough paper is understandable. Because of light
scattering, the digital becomes analog.

Undercutting is when even the negative and emulsion are in close contact,
you still might not get perfectly binary effect because the light is
diffused (not collimated), so the light doesn't go through the dots in
straight-line fashion but diffuse in every direction. I am not good at
giving formal definition, but hopefully it makes some sense.

Dave S