RE: How to translate log density readings to percent?

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@mynet.com>
Date: 09/08/04-05:00:25 AM Z

Hi Dave,

I use a 225lpi negative on a 3600dpi imagesetter (225 x 16 = 3600). The
source file resolution is 450dpi (2x factor). I agree that "logically",
an imagesetter negative should do fine for my purposes "without" severe
curve adjustments... BUT "pratically" this is not the case (at least for
me).

Let me describe my conditions:

I use textured paper (cold press) and when I contact print an
imagesetter negative emulsion to emulsion I get strange patterns on my
print. The patterns are caused by the fact that the portions of the
paper that are in close contact with the negative (lets name them "the
hills") clearly show halftone dots (with a loupe of course) but the
portions that are not in close contact (lets name them "the valleys")
don't show halftone dots - because of light
scattering/halation/diffusion??? whatever. Therefore, the tone of the
"hills" and "valleys" differ considerably given the same negative dot
percentage.

I overcame this problem by printing emulsion up (yes, I loose sharpness
but not much - and I can compensate for this by oversharpening the file
in Photoshop). That way, I use the thickness of the negative to turn
hills to valleys, and valleys to deeper valleys so there are no strange
patterns and tone difference (because there's no "true" contact)
anymore. When I print emulsion up, the density change - somehow - is not
"linear". That's why I opt to design a curve by careful measuring.

Will keep all what you said in my mind when the densitometer arrives.
Thanks again.

Regards,
Loris.

BTW, What is "undercutting"?