Re: Papers for Cyanotype

From: Joe Smigiel ^lt;jsmigiel@kvcc.edu>
Date: 09/09/04-06:24:25 AM Z

Hello Mike,

I think Crane's Kid Finish [AS81111 (white) or PS8111 (ecru)] is a good
paper to start with for most alternative process except for perhaps gum
dichromate and other colloid processes. It certainly works well for
cycanotype IME. I also like Bienfang Graphics 360 rag marker paper but
that paper is more difficult to coat and handle during processing so
probably not a good first choice if you are just starting out.

Joe

>>> silkini@uneedspeed.net 09/08/04 7:54 PM >>>
Does the weight of the paper used for Cyanotypes matter?
I see recommendations for using Rives BFK, Arches Aquarelle, and
Fabriano.
Also are hot or cold press preferable and smooth or rough finish.
There seems like are a lot of choices to make.
Do some papers accept the solution better, and does the weight impact
that?

Can anyone suggest a very specific Brand and grade of paper to start
with.

Sorry fro all the beginner questions. I hope the list can tolerate it.
If not I apologize in advance.

Thanks in advance for any help

Mike