RE: Presentation Question

From: Robert W. Schramm ^lt;schrammrus@hotmail.com>
Date: 09/09/04-07:35:45 PM Z

You have described the standard way of putting information on prints which
has long been used by those who make woodcut, lith prints, silk screen etc.
Since photographic prints are prints also the same method can be used. The
are some, however, who write this information on the mat. It all depends on
how much of a purest you are. That first print that you keep for yourself is
often marked. "A.P." or (in fFrench)" E. d'A." in both cases meaning
artist's proof. Subsequent prints are numbered e.g. 2/15, 3/15 etc. I have a
theory about why photographers record information on the mat instead of the
print. and that is, silver/gelatin prints are sometime glossy and hard to
write on. However, almost all alt-process prints are done on some kind of
watercolor paper which has enough tooth for a pencil.

Bob Schramm

Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com

&gt;From: Schuyler Grace &lt;schuyler@bellsouth.net&gt;
&gt;Reply-To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
&gt;Subject: Presentation Question
&gt;Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 12:45:37 -0700
&gt;
&gt;When mounting and framing their work for presentation, how do the other
&gt;folks on this list deal with signature/title/edition lines on their
prints?
&gt;I put all of that information in the border directly below the image and
&gt;usually show the border (and info) inside the mat window. Is that the
&gt;&quot;correct&quot; way of presenting such work, or more precisely, is
that
&gt;&quot;incorrect&quot; (read: tacky or otherwise just not done)? BTW, I
also
&gt;serialize all of my prints, so I can keep track of them, and put the
&gt;printing &quot;recipe&quot; (negative number, substrate info, emulsion
formula,
&gt;exposure type/time, and processing information) on the first print of an
&gt;edition (that I usually keep) for reference, but those are generally on
the
&gt;back of the print or near the edge of the substrate.
&gt;
&gt;-Schuyler Grace
&gt;