Re: Rothko and permanence

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 09/13/04-05:51:46 AM Z

Pam Niedermayer wrote:

> What does "cannot be shown" mean?

As in this quote (referring here to the Harvard murals) "Further, their
facture was so faulty that, having faded to blue due to photo-sensitive
red pigments, they have had to be removed from view, and are now
specimens in the conservation lab."

That quote is from the URL Sandy pointed to. I had intended today to
find the book (at my university library) from which I first learned of
this crisis and give you the quote from it, but my plans changed and I
didn't go to the city today, so this will have to do for now. I don't
remember the name of the book, but it was a Rothko monograph that
included a considerable appendix about the problems of impermanence with
regard not just to the murals, but to much of the work.
Katharine