Re: Picture on metal

From: Galina Manikova ^lt;galina@online.no>
Date: 09/22/04-04:03:39 AM Z

Thank you, Gerry,

sounds like I have got a reputation here!

Well, if I am to give some advice here, I would first consider how much
time you want to spend on this matter, Timo!

One can do cold processes as emulsion transfers of different sorts or
silver gelatin and put some cover coat to protect it. However, that can
not be permanent and will be fragile and sensitive to scratches and
temperature differences.

The only thing that would hold is a hot enamel process.

It can be done in different manners, have a look at my website under
"professional secrets", one can print it out now using "print" command
on the upright side.

Dusting on, carbon, gum, temperaprint can be used based on enamel
colors suitable for a particular metal and firing temperature. Cleaning
and polishing the metal surface prior to that is the most important
part. So one needs to find some sort of base to put under the emulsion
to make it sit on a smooth metal surface before and during the firing.
I recommend gelatin with an addition of some melting agent suitable for
the firing temperature.

Modern use of some of it can be studied at this site:

http://www.enamellers.nl/english/carpenter1.htm

Somebody has mentioned it here before, I think. Perhaps, you can just
order it from them, Timo? Unless you want to learn the process yourself
and have both time and money for it...

All this is time consuming and demanding activity...

I wonder if it is worth it if you just want one picture, Timo?

Sometimes we might need to reconsider our intentions...

But by all means,

good luck!

Let us all know what you decide to do and how it all goes.

Best wishes to everybody!

Galina Manikova
www.galina.no