Re: Environmental Impact

From: Bob Maxey ^lt;written_by@msn.com>
Date: 04/08/05-09:03:22 AM Z

>>>This brings us again to the point of my question - What do people
(professional and amateur) do to properly dispose of chemicals? I mean,
exactly what facilities do you you use (I am talking about specifics here)
for the varoius chemicals used? Does this mean that nothing goes down your
drain?? I would like to know what I am missing in terms of facilities that
may be available.>>>

It depends upon the chemicals and the volume. If I were still using mercury intensifier, my disposal strategy would be different than it is currently. It also can depend upon how you use your chemicals. For example, a hobbyist can get away with far more than a professional can. When chemicals and waste become a part of your business, everything changes.

I once taught this as part of my old job. I was a HAZ-MAT, lead disposal, and chemical safety instructor for a large electronics manufacturer. We were related a story about a man that ran a business in his garage. His oversight cost him more money than he could ever make because some bureaucrat decided that his property needed to be cleaned up, via a Haz-Mat operation.

Some solutions like fixer do/can contain silver. Silver can be a serious pollutant, but chances are the environmental impact of dumping fixer down the drain are minimal. Again, it depends on the volume. You might be able to find a local recovery center to take all effluents of your hands for free, if the chemicals contain silver compounds.

You might also be able to find a local film processor to take your chemicals, if the quantities are small. Many people use photographic chemicals and they might not be photographers or film processors. For example, industrial x-ray ships, NDT, and photochemical milling concerns.

My brother's wife worked for an x-ray lab and they would take and all solutions that contained even a trace of silver.

Finally, depending on the chemicals, you might be able to add something to neutralize the compounds.

Bob
..
 Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msncom