RE: price of pt/pd printing

From: Eric Neilsen ^lt;e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net>
Date: 04/08/05-03:09:38 PM Z

Chris,

Well How much Na2 are you using? And at what concentration? (DAMN expensive
stuff compared to a bottle of H2O2, or some dichromate)One little drop of
H2O2 3% full strength would pop most negs at a 4x6 size. And since you have
no platinum in your solution (once you remove the Na2), you don't need to
concern yourself with platinum coming out of solution, add several drops.
Dilute it if needed. And when your done, use the rest to gargle or rinse
after brushing.

Perhaps this will get you thinking as well. If you buy 1) 50 lbs bag of
Potassium Carbonate and 1) 55 lbs bag of Oxalic Acid, How many gallons of
Potassium Oxalate can you make? .... That's right. 25 gallons. Or about
100 liters. 1000 g of Potassium Oxalate cost a recent student of mine about
39.00 or enough to make about 3 liters or $13.00/l

The two bags of chemicals only cost $65.00 or .65/l .

For another hundred dollars I can buy enough supplies (ferrous ammonium
sulfate) to make 2.5 liters of Ferric Oxalate so 20 drops of ferric is only
.04.

Palladium is running about 10.80/g right now but Platinum is about 27.00/g
and Platinic Acid (H2) is about 23.5/g. The way I mix palladium, that is
costing about 1.35/ml. SO at (20drops/ml) 13 drops = .88 cents/4x6 print.

The paper cost can be as much as the chemical cost or more. 25 sheets of COT
320 from Freestyle cost me 135.00. $5.40/sheet Depending on how much paper
edge you like to see, you might get 6 to 12 prints out of one sheet. Or
.90/sheet to .45/sheet. There are other sheets that could easily bring down
the cost to .15/sheet.

Then there is the expertise to make a good print. Now that is priceless!

Masking with Ruby lith $$$, multiple mask $$$, drafting tape $$$. Test
prints x ???

At the risk of saying your time is more valuable than the small amount of
waste, how about gang printing. Coat a 20x24 piece, lay a bunch of like
contrast negs together, and print away. To individually go to 4x6 might be
the most expensive decision that you have suggested. And if not 20x24, what
about 16x20? 12 prints on one sheet. You could use a sheet of ruby lith to
cut 12 openings, precise layout makes for easy cutting saving time and yes,
MONEY! Now go buy yourself that grande latte and get printing!

All kidding aside, if you are looking for cost cutting techniques with
platinum printing one should look for good low cost paper, buy bulk when
possible, and stay away from Na2 as a contrast agent if you are on a budget.
I am glad that I had my Platinic Acid (same as Na2 but substitute H for Na)
for toning. I bought it when platinum was only 10.5g.

EJ Neilsen

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street
Suite 9