Re: price of pt/pd printing

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias ^lt;jeffrey.d.mathias@att.net>
Date: 04/09/05-06:07:43 AM Z

Eric Neilsen wrote:
> Palladium is running about 10.80/g right now but Platinum is about 27.00/g
> and Platinic Acid (H2) is about 23.5/g. The way I mix palladium, that is
> costing about 1.35/ml. SO at (20drops/ml) 13 drops = .88 cents/4x6 print.
>
> The paper cost can be as much as the chemical cost or more. 25 sheets of COT
> 320 from Freestyle cost me 135.00. $5.40/sheet Depending on how much paper
> edge you like to see, you might get 6 to 12 prints out of one sheet. Or
> .90/sheet to .45/sheet.

I just purchased some metals from Englehard last month.
K2PtCl4 100 grams at $16.5209 a gram
PdCl2 500 grams at $6.79134 a gram
Thay give price breaks at certain amounts, but their price fluxuates
with the market and the final price is set after the order is ready to
ship. A good way to anticipate the market is at www.kitco.com

The fabric I use wholesales at $15.00 a yard (you have to order about
150 yards.) If I use an 11x14 size piece for a 8x10 print, that's about
  10 prints per yard (there is some trimming.) So that's about $1.50
per 8x10 print. Paper tends to be less, although some good papers can
cost twice what Eric describs.

An 8x10 on Sea Island fabric requires about 3.0 ml metal solution
An 8x10 on Crain's paper requires about 1.4 ml metal solution

For a typical mixture of 1 part Pt solution 3 parts Pd solution using a
standard 26% FO solution, that works out to $0.38145 for just the metals
metioned above if using fabric and $0.17801 for the 8x10 on paper.

Keep in mind that there are other chemicals used per print. And then
the depreciation of equipment used. But so too with other processes.

Point is, as I believe made by others, that it is a cry baby's excuse to
claim that the Pt/Pd process is just too exspesive only due to the Pt
and Pd metals. As with any of the alt processes, the substrate seems to
be the big ticket item.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/