RE: new alt process--gelatin silver

From: Robert W. Schramm ^lt;schrammrus@hotmail.com>
Date: 04/08/05-07:24:25 PM Z

Christina et al,

This is so familiar to me. I have just about concluded that no one in West
Virginias has any idea what I am doing. I believe we are still all fighting
the good fight that the Photosecessionists begain near the begining of the
20th century. If you thinki gum prints are obscure, sometime ask someone
about what I do: daguerreotype, platinotype, chrysotype and uranotype.

Bob Schramm
Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com

&gt;From: &quot;Christina Z. Anderson&quot; &lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net&gt;
&gt;Reply-To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
&gt;To: Alt list &lt;alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca&gt;
&gt;Subject: new alt process--gelatin silver
&gt;Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 09:42:14 -0400
&gt;
&gt;Hello!
&gt;Man oh man has the list been quiet of late, so I thought I'd share a
&gt;maddening comment made at a panel.
&gt;
&gt;The panel was in Washington DC at a conference I was at, the third
&gt;of three this spring. Never again. Anyway, it was a printmaking
&gt;conference (as in silkscreen, mezzotint, that kind of printmaking)
&gt;with very prestigious people on the panel, including the curator of
&gt;prints and photography of the Library of Congress, two of the
&gt;printmakers for big mane artists, an art editor from Art in America,
&gt;and it was held at the Library of Congress.
&gt;
&gt;One of the panel members was talkiing about this or that and said,
&gt;offhandedly, &quot;And there are even some schools that teach wet
&gt;darkroom, still--I mean, hello, wet darkroom is DEAD.&quot; He was a
bit
&gt;less vernacular than I. NO ONE in the room nor the other panel
&gt;members corrected him--they all nodded knowingly.
&gt;
&gt;Granted, this was not a photography conference, but I was pretty
&gt;shocked as I watched myself become a dinosaur. I figure within my
&gt;lifetime, gelatin silver will be added as a suitable topic for this
&gt;alt list.
&gt;
&gt;BTW, the Library of Congress has 100,000 prints in their collection.
&gt;When I asked the curator if there were any gum prints I could see,
&gt;she did not know what I was talking about. Sigh.
&gt;Chris
&gt;
&gt;