Re: Demachy and Maskell's postscript

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Date: 04/10/05-07:11:44 AM Z

Katharine,
Yes, I did try this two summers ago. I noticed in the literature that it
was a method in vogue at the beginning, and then it fell out of favor
shortly thereafter, as it was not found to be faster, especially 4-5 times
faster, as Demachy had said. I"ve got all my notes chronologically organized
and in the near future could dig up when the books started saying it wasn't
what it was cracked up to be.

The thought at the time was that the dichromate would be on the surface of
the paper and better secure the halftones because it would harden from the
bottom up. It's interesting, because I read in solarplate literature (not
sure what the sensitizer is in solarplate) that it hardens from the base up.
Isn't that odd? Why would light hitting the surface harden the depths first
and not the top? But that is a digression.

I did find it was more contrasty, therefore looked sharper, and did not find
more stain either in pigment or dichromate.

To me, the method did not make a bit of sense because it required two steps
instead of one, and if there weren't benefits, why bother.

However, I have to remember that in those days also in vogue was a thicker
coat with lots of exposure, with carbon blacks and oxide reds and that type
of thing, one coat gums, so maybe it might excel in that scenario. In other
words, I haven't thrown out the method as a no go yet.
Chris
PS I've been going through old Camera and Darkroom mags, and what a hoot.
Two articles by Jan Pietrzak, and a gum image of Judy Siegel's. Two gum
articles by Steve Anchell. I keep looking for alt listers....