DOGGIE CYANO REDUX

From: BOB KISS ^lt;bobkiss@caribsurf.com>
Date: 04/11/05-09:44:01 AM Z

DEAR LIST,
    I recently coated and printed some classic Cyanos on Arches Aquarelle
hot press that I bought about a year ago. The good news is that there none
of those pesky spots about an inch in diameter that I used to get on
previous batches. As someone mentioned in a thread about 6 months ago the
paper DID have a wet doggie smell when coated and washed. I also noticed a
slightly yellow background tone to the paper that used to be the whitest I
could find.
    The problem is that, as mentioned by Judy, I don't find any other paper
that prints Cyanos like Arches Aquarelle hot press. It is truly
beautiful...contrasty, deep blue shadows.
    Another observation: I coated the paper with a sponge brush using a
ration of 2:1 parts A:B. I laid it on a screen to air dry. When it felt
"dry" to bare fingers I printed it using a NuArc. The first piece of paper
was coated with the darkroom A/C on at 72 F (remember we have 85 f weather
here year round). The paper felt "dry" but cool to the touch. The Cyano
bled and what should have been white boarders were spoiled. I then tried an
experiment. I coated the paper and laid it to dry on the screen with the
A/C off. The room read 85 F. It dried faster and no longer had that
slightly cool feeling (possible indicating residual dampness?) when I put it
into the plate burner. Result? No bleeding bleeding! I haven't made
enough tests to confirm this but is it possible that, unless the Cyano
coating is VERY dry, it will indeed bleed? Yes, I previously tried the
tween 20 with no improvement.
    What do the informed minds think?
                    CHEERS!
                                    BOB