Re: Only slightly OT: scanners

From: Peter Marshall ^lt;petermarshall@cix.co.uk>
Date: 04/20/05-03:14:48 AM Z

Louis de Stoutz wrote:
> Since most of you use scanners, may I ask:
>
> between the Nikon 9000ED and the Konica/Minolta Multi Pro, which one
> should I prefer for B&W 120? The Epson 4870 doesn't get quite close
> enough to the grain and an Imacon leaves my wallet too empty. "B&W" has
> to be stressed since ICE doesn't work there and the Nikon excels in
> reproducing dust.

I think you can expect dust to be a problem on both. I use the
Multi-Pro, though mainly for 35mm b/w, and all the 120 I have is colour.

I do have some quite decent A1 prints made from 35mm b/w scanned on
this, although normally I print to around 15x10". However the results
will depend on the negatives - emulsion, exposure and processing. Some
scan rather better than others.

I use a diffuser in the scanner (not sure if these are still available)
which may help a little on the dust problem, but it can still take 20-30
minutes work to clean up a scan in Photoshop.

I've found Vuescan to be the best software. Using the 'scan from
preview' option makes it reasonably fast too. Multi-scanning does
improve the results but a single scan is so good I seldom bother.

I'm afraid I've no idea how it compares with the Nikon though.

Peter Marshall
petermarshall@cix.co.uk +44 (0)1784 456474
About Photography: http://photography.about.com
My London Diary http://mylondondiary.co.uk/