Re: loupes for large format camera use and; humidity levels

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 04/24/05-09:47:46 PM Z

From: Susan Huber <shuber@ssisland.com>
Subject: Re: loupes for large format camera use and; humidity levels
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 08:50:17 -0700

> Yors is the best advice give I tried the 8x power and immediately
    felt nauseated. Had to return it and settle for my old 4x loupe.

I think Peak makes an 8x magnifier with suction cup skirt so that the
loupe stays on the ground glass. As the loupe is temporarily fixed on
the glass, focusing (of the loupe) should be trouble-free once
adjusted. I think that is a great idea but I never bought it so I
can't offer you detailed comments. One problem is that the loupe
itself seems to be a crappy one. Another problem is difficulty in
checking the focus near the edges and corners because of the size of
suction cup.

For a 4x loupe, I found Horizon (made in Russia) loupe that covers 6cm
square is the cheapest loupe that I am 95% happy with.

I recommended an OptiVisor (3.5x is the highest mag) first because you
can wear your prescription glass under the visor magnifier, and
binocular vision with this unit is very much less fatigue-prone
compared to loupes. But I agree it's a bit bulky in the field. There
are a couple of very lightweight magnifier visors. The lightest one
I've seen does not have shades around the magnifiers (which I think is
very useful when soldering small components or retouching prints under
work light, but the shades are unnecessary if the visor is used under
a dark cloth).

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Well, believing is all right, just don't let the wrong people know