Re: plans for a "Brilliant Viewfinder?"

From: Etienne Garbaux ^lt;photographeur@softhome.net>
Date: 04/30/05-09:33:33 PM Z

Charles wrote:

> Most of the list has seen the viewfinder which was common on early
> cameras--it consisted of a mirror with a lens facing forward and one
> facing up so that the user could look down into it and get an (only
> approximate and not very good, as I remember) idea of what was being
> taken. I'd like to try to make one as a finder for a 6x6 folder which
> I'd like to use at waist level. Yes, I know a TLR is ideal for this,
> but my folder fits my jeans pocket. I don't have a clue as to what
> focal length the two lenses should be.

There were any number of simple folding cameras with small "brilliant"
finders, many of which you can pick up for $2-3 at a photo flea market
today (check the "Trade Shows" listing in Shutterbug or look on-line for
camera shows in your area). Why not just buy one of these and pull the
finder off? I think I have a few buried around here somewhere -- I'll try
to find one and measure the FL of the lenses.

Best regards,

etienne