Re: Hard gloss coating and mounting a digital print onto a rigid surface

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 08/01/05-02:48:04 AM Z

Polyester doesn't accept many chemical adhesions (film manufacturers
use a few steps of very tricky processes to coat emulsions on them) so
your best bet is mechanical means of bonding, such as screws, staples,
clips, etc. to mount the picture on the board. Another possibility is
to make a set of oversize clear mounting corners with another piece of
polyester film, and secure these with staples, etc. to the
board. Obviously, in your presentation, they will be visible. But it
may work, especially if generous borders are given.

If you are using non-transparent base board, and if you can make slits
on them, I would consider S-hinges to hold the prints in place. I
tried a few different methods to mount 20 inch square prints (made on
paper, mounted on 24 inch square form core) but nothing was better
than S-hinges. I found S-hinge very easy to work with and they are
very strong. V-hinges are deceptively simple but the actual operations
are more frustrating and they break easily when a large print is
mounted.

Most common polyester for film base is PET, poly(ethylene
telephthalate). This material melts at a rather low temperature.